- Neil Diamond signed a $1m-advance-per-album deal with Columbia in 1973
- In 1996, Murray Lachlan Young became the first poet to sign a £1m record contract
- In January 2002, EMI paid Mariah Carey $28m (£18.5m) to end her record contract with the label
- Robbie Williams signed a UK record £80m deal with EMI in October 2002
- In March, the estate of Michael Jackson reportedly agreed the biggest deal in history – worth more than $200m (£132m)
A report released in March by international recording industry body IFPI, estimates that a typical record deal to try to break a new pop act in the UK or the US is worth about £625,000.