These two lists have several differences beyond their size (authors, methodology and criteria) but both share a focus on the pop/rock production from the past 50 years or so. So it will be interesting to compare them and see what they have in common.
In order to do so, I merged the two lists on a single spreadsheet and harmonized the presentation of data (“&” vs. “And”; “Notorious BIG” vs. “The Notorious B.I.G.” etc.) to run Excel calculations.
I have found out that:
- 315 albums appears on both lists
- Of the 185 albums exclusive to the RS list, 46 are compilations/greatest hits, a category excluded from the AYMHBYD list. So there are 139 albums exclusive to RS list, or 31% of its total (excluding compilations)
- The AYMHBYD list has 685 exclusive entries
- There are 1185 albums in the combined list
Who are the artists behind these albums?
- 732 artists show on both lists (Actually 731 plus “Various Artists” with 4 albums on RS list)
- 199 artists have the same album on both lists (and 93 artists have different albums on each list)
- 468 artists only have albums on AYMHBYD.
- 44 artists are exclusive to the RS lists.
- 21 artists appear on both lists only with different albums
The 732 artists present in both lists are so ranked:
- 11 albums: 2 artists (Beatles and Rolling Stones)
- 10 albums: 1 artist (Bob Dylan)
- 9 albums: 1 artist (Bruce Springsteen)
- 8 albums: 2 artists (David Bowie, The Who)
- 7 albums: 4 artists (Neil Young, Led Zeppelin, Tom Waits, Elton John)
- 6 albums: 3 artists (Elvis Costello, The Byrds, Iggy Pop)
- 5 albums: 13 artists (U2, Radiohead, Stevie Wonder, Talking Heads, Bob Marley & The Wailers, Brian Eno, Miles Davis, The Kinks, Roxy Music, Simon & Garfunkel, The Smiths, Sonic Youth, Otis Redding)
- 4 albums: 31 artists
- 3 albums: 40 artists
- 2 albums: 139 artists
- 1 album: 496 artists
The ranking for the 199 artists with albums that appear on both two lists:
- 7 albums: 1 artist (The Beatles)
- 6 albums: 1 artist (Bob Dylan)
- 5 albums: 3 artists (The Rolling Stones, David Bowie, Neil Young)
- 4 albums: 6 artists (Bruce Springsteen, The Who, Elvis Costello, The Byrds, U2, Pink Floyd)
- 3 albums: 14 artists
- 2 albums: 4 artists
- 1 album: 127 artists
Artists that got most mentions in the AYMHBYD and zero in RS:
- 4 albums: 3 artists (Leonard Cohen, Morrissey, Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds)
- 3 albums: 10 artists (Deep Purple, Dexys Midnight Runners, Emmylou Harris, Kate Bush, Pet Shop Boys, The Fall, Tim Buckley, Wilco, Yes)
- 2 albums: 59 artists
- 1 album: 396 artists
Artists that got at least two mentions in RS and zero in the AYMHBYD: Jackson Browne (the only with 3 albums), Hank Williams, Howlin’ Wolf, Linda Ronstadt, No Doubt, Robert Johnson, The Meters (all with 2).